Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Goodbye, Moonman

by Nathan Nowatney
January 15, 2016

David Bowie was an artist incredibly close to my heart. His music made me feel and think in a way I never thought possible. I nearly cried when I had heard of his passing, and I feel that I am honor- bound to make a tribute to this man who gave me so many good feelings… and made me okay with being who I am.

Rather than attempting to use prose to explain how I feel, I think using verse would suit things much better. Here is a poem tribute to David Bowie- constructed using Bowie lyrics, album titles, and song titles.

The Duke of Stardust

A Starman only appears in the Golden Years
Young Americans, Dancing in the Street
As The World Falls Down
I’m caught up in a Moonage Daydream
For Five Years
All these Changes
There are no longer Heroes
Not after the Man Who Sold the World
We all will rise and fall
With Stardust caught up in our eyes
Where are We Now?
Lost and Incomplete

He’d like to come and meet us
But he thinks he’d blow our minds
He was a Space Oddity
A savior
The only Life on Mars
He told us not to blow it
Because he knows it’s all worthwhile
And he was alright, the band went on together
And it was alright, the song went on forever
He took it all too far
But boy could he play guitar