Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The World Grieves For Paris

by Nathan Nowatney
November 18, 2015

On the thirteenth of November, the world sat open-mouthed as events in France’s capital transpired. Bombings. Shootings. Chaos.

For the first few moments, nobody knew what was happening- but then it became apparent. It’s a 21st century nightmare. Paris was under assault by terrorists. ISIS is to blame.

In the rubble of the aftermath, the body-count has come to 129. Families mourn, everyone sits restlessly in the wake of the aftershock, as world leaders consider plans of action.

Today, I find out how it has affected people in our own community, more specifically, people at our school.

“I was shocked. I didn’t think that… I didn’t know ISIS was this close… I thought they were still in their own place, not in towns, killing people yet,” says a solemn Alec Hayes.

“I was shocked. I was at a loss for words,” a tired Kaylee Beekman relays to me.

This event has made waves all over the world, I asked these two how they think the U.S. should react to something like this.

“I’m not really sure what they could do about it. I think the U.S. sticks their noses in too much- help the people that were involved, I guess, but don’t try to pick another bone,” Kaylee says, considering each word she says.

On the other hand, Alec seems to be more confident about what he says.

“Well… I feel like it’s not really our responsibility, but they are our allies. We should send a few troops over to help them out- but nothing too extensive.”

No matter the opinion, everyone in our community is keeping the victims and their families in their hearts- all these miles away.