Friday, October 16, 2015

It's October wear PINK!

                                           Lexi Strange
                                           10-14-15

October is breast cancer awareness month. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States. The American Cancer Society estimates by the end of the year more than 231,000 woman and men will be diagnosed with breast cancer. To help show your support take the PLEDGE. Here are six steps in which you can prevent breast cancer and or find it in an early stage.
  • PREVENTION: Ask my doctor what steps I can take that could reduce my risk of breast cancer.
  • LEARNING: Arm myself with knowledge about my own risks.
  • EXAMINATION: With my doctor, find out when I should get screened for breast cancer, and how often.
  • DENSITY: Have a conversation with my doctor to see if I have "dense" breasts, and which screening approach is right for me.
  • GENETICS: Discuss with my doctor my family history -- both mom's and dad's side -- of breast cancer, to see what it might mean for my level of risk.
  • EDUCATE Once I've put these steps into action, "pay it forward" by encouraging friends and family to do it as well.