Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Welcome, New Students!

Sept. 16, 2016
by Alexus Buckles

Hartsburg- Emden Jr . /Sr. High School tried their best to welcome all new students to our learning community. This year so far we have had 3 new high school students. Their names are Nastassja Ott, Mia Young, and Dylan Glick. I got to sit down and talk to Nastassja and Mia, but Dylan was unavailable and will be interviewed at a later date. Nastassja was a very quiet, kind of laid back person but she seems excited to be in a different learning environment. She is part of the junior class. My questions that I asked were the following:
  1. What are your plans after school?
  2. Was the school you went to before Hartem very different?
  3. Do you make the friends easily?
  4. What do you want to be when you grow up?
  5. Who do you look up to the most?
  6. What’s so precious in your life that you would risk your life for it?
Nastassja answered with quick simple answers:
  1. “ I want to go to college,” she said
  2. “I went to Lincoln. So yeah there are a lot more people,” she answered.
  3. Nastassja says she thinks she makes friends easily. It’s just a natural thing to her.
  4. She is passionate about being a photographer when she grows up.
  5. “I look up to my mom a lot because she is always there for me and my little sister,” Nastassja said.
  6. Nastassja said that she would risk her life for her little sister.
Mia's personality show through in her answers. She is a freshman.
  1. Mia also wants to go to college after school.
  2. “I went to a private school before I came to Hartem. So yeah they were kind of similar but they are different too," Mia stated.
  3. Mia believes she also makes friends easily.
  4. Mia hasn’t really thought about what she wants to be when she grows up. “I don’t know,” she answered.
  5. Mia also looks up to her mother. Her mother is not married so she says her mother does a lot of stuff on her own.
  6. Lastly, Mia says she would risk her life for her family. She believes she’s really close to her family.
We all need to welcome our new students and let them know what our school is about. School is a place to be educated, but on our way we pick up some life-long friends. Let's share that experience with everybody.

Look for Dylan's interview at a later date.

Update-- Dylan declined our invitation to be interviewed.